tutti frutti productions, Sheffield Theatres, Manchester Royal Exchange,
Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse,
the Dukes Lancaster and Freedom Studios
invite applications for
A creative training project to support the development of 6 writers from the North of England who want to create theatre for children.
Have you ever thought about creating a piece of theatre for children age 3 and above? It might be story based, an installation, a participatory adventure or site specific – if so this may be for you.
We want to support new artists to tell new stories that are culturally diverse, innovative, exciting and relevant for children.
First Words presents a unique opportunity for writers to work with a range of leading artists including composer Tayo Akinbode, movement director TC Howard, director Nina Hajiyianni and writers including Mike Kenny & Richard Hurford and early years' specialists including Amanda Dalton of The Royal Exchange who are at the forefront of making theatre for children and young people in the UK.
- Attend a creative week of workshops from 1st – 5th July 2013 at Sheffield Theatres to learn about making theatre for children and young people.
- Be mentored by one of the UK’s leading children’s theatre writers
- Have a reading or representation of ideas in autumn 2013 where feedback will be given by professionals in the field.
- Receive a fee of £400 to take part in the project. Travel expenses and accommodation if required will be provided for the workshop week at Sheffield Theatres.
- You must be over 18 and have a base in Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside or Yorkshire.
- You must demonstrate that you are keen to create theatre experiences for children
- You must agree to participate fully on all the required dates of the project.
- You must agree to contribute to the First Words Blog throughout the creative process.
How to Apply
- Tell us about yourself and what you have done in your career to date (300 words max).
- Write a short paragraph stating why you wish to be considered for First Words (300 words max).
- Send us a summary of an idea that you have for making a piece of theatre for children (300 words max).
- Supply one reference with name, email and telephone number.
- Tell us which region you live in.
Deadline for applications
Friday 24th May 2013 at 12noon – to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday 13th June 2013 in Leeds
Individuals from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds are actively encouraged to apply for this training opportunity as it is widely recognised that there is a lack of diversity amongst writers in this sector.
Should you have any questions, please contact Wendy Harris, Artistic Director, tutti frutti on 0113 388 0027 or email email@example.com
To follow the experiences of the artists and writers who took part in first words 2011, please take a look at the First Words Blog here